With July 4th right around the corner, it’s time to gear up for summer. The warm weather can tempt us to stay out longer and have a few more drinks than usual. Unfortunately, late nights combined with alcohol can take a toll on your skin and leave some obvious indicators. Here are some tips you do at home to revitalize your skin after a night out.
- Dry Brush – Make long, sweeping brush strokes towards the heart to buff away dry and dead skin as well as to increase circulation and rid your body of toxins.
- Take a Bath – Add 1 cup of Epsom salt and 1 cup of baking soda to warm bath water to detoxify. Alternatively, add 10 drops of ginger essential oil to warm bath water and soak for at least 20 minutes. Post bath, wrap your body in a blanket and your head in a towel so as to induce further perspiration to aid in detoxification.
- Exfoliate – Achieve the same great results from dry brushing on your face using an exfoliating cleanser. Buff away dry and dead skin while enhancing blood flow, leaving your face smooth and radiant. For an easy DIY overall body exfoliant, combine coconut oil with sea or rock salt and gently rub over body in circular strokes. For sensitive skin, mix with sugar instead.
- Moisturize – One of the most noticeable side effects of alcohol is dehydration, so make sure to replenish your skin with nourishing lotion. To make your own refreshing and hydrating face moisturizer, melt 3 tablespoons of mango butter and mix with 1 tablespoon of almond oil or jojoba oil. Blend thoroughly and refrigerate until it sets and apply to skin while still cool. If you don’t want to make your own homestyle remedy we recommend Trina Renea Skincare’s Quench.
- Green Tea Bags – Puffy eyes are a dead giveaway of a late night, so use green tea bags to reduce them:
a.Steep 2 green tea bags in boiling water
b.Remove and place in freezer for a few minutes
c.Apply to eyes to diminish swelling and dark circles
- Hydrate – Drink half your body weight in ounces of water per day to counteract the dehydrating effects of alcohol. For example, if you weigh 120 pounds, drink 60 ounces of water per day. Additionally, squeeze an entire lemon into 8 ounces of tepid water to create a strong diuretic that will aid in flushing out alcohol from your system.
With these tips, your skin will be fresh and you will have a more lively complexion. Good luck and have too much fun!